Not Your Average Operator, Ep: 014 – Lessons from COVID-19
The global pandemic and governmental policies have imposed untold restrictions and hardships on nearly everyone. On the worst end of the spectrum, loved ones have passed and individuals have lost jobs. On the better end, you might have found yourself isolated from the things you love and perhaps used to fundamentally define your existence. In this episode, the guys discuss their own individual journey, their personal triumphs and tribulations. Raf battled bouts of loneliness while quarantined in a hotel for 30 days away from his family, before heading overseas leaving his family behind in uncertainty. Melon was separated from his family for over 5 months without an indication of an end date. Finally, Mike, an active duty SOF operator, found himself navigating between city, state, federal, and military restrictions that ultimately left him with very little room to maneuver. Collectively, the guys shared the tools they discovered to be the most useful. The following are just a few of those:
- Happiness is a choice that needs to be reaffirmed daily
- Redefine your boundary and what you can do in your box of possibilities
- You don’t have to be physically present to cultivate deep emotional relationships
- Create/Join a tribe that keeps focused on the positive externalities of life
- Optimize new technologies to continue to build relationships
- Focus on the basics (health, physical fitness, security, relationships)
- Accept and choose to thrive in change.
No matter how confined, or beat down you feel, at the end of the day, you need to heed the words immortalized by Welsh poet Dylan Thomas, “Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage…against the dying of the light.”
Please share with us what your struggles, lessons, and tactics were to overcome the chaos brought from this pandemic.
Follow Us On
Email us at:
Paul “Melon” McFadden